Children’s Activities Around Townsville
Since becoming a mum and taking leave from my job, I found that sitting around my house, especially with a toddler, can at times make me want to pull my hair out.
At least every morning we try to do something, either by ourselves or with mummy friends, just to make the day go faster, but to also make little miss a bit worn out so she will have a nap and give me time to have a well-earned coffee.
Some of the best things to do in Townsville we found to do include parks and the Aquarium. We love going to a new park every week and checking out the different suburbs of Townsville. North Shore has a variety of different parks, Bushland Beach is unique because it has the beach so close, but one of our favourite parks would have to be Sherriff Park on Love Lane, because there is a variety of playground equipment for differing skill levels and it is so open and shaded.
The Aquarium is also awesome, for $40 a year for a single pass (1 adult + kid/s) you get unlimited access to an air-conditioned, undercover, safe space that has a café with excellent coffee.
Other great activities that we have found we love to go include:
- Mainly music: A music program ($2 fee) run by St Matthews Church. The kids get to sing songs, morning tea for the kids and adults is provided and the facilitators of the program are so welcoming and lovely.
- Chipmonks: Located in the Joyce Mayne centre opposite Castletown is great, especially if you have an energetic child like me. It does cost $9.90 to go through the doors, but it is certainly the best $10 I will spend that week.
- Gymbaroo: A structured learning program for babies up to kindy. The cost is $200 per term or you do have the option to pay weekly or in my case we went casually for $25. The staff are friendly and welcoming and provide a lot of the equipment for learning.
- The museum: For locals the cost is $7.50, but we have a ball going to the museum. We colour, run up and down the ramps and at the moment the exhibit is focused on Dinosaurs, which are my daughters favourite thing.
- Rhyme Time: We normally go to Rhyme Time (FREE) on Tuesdays at the Thuringowa Library. The ladies up the front sing songs with the kids and then at the end they bring out the toys, which of course is my daughters favourite part.
- Messy Play: If your child loves to paint, draw and create then this FREE activity is perfect. It runs at the Aitkenvale Library on Wednesdays and all materials are provided, but just remember to wear old clothes, because it gets MESSY!
These are just some of our favourite things to do around Townsville, and most of them are either free or quite affordable, but we are certainly keen to check out other toddler friendly places if you have any in mind.